the top of St. John Street, Robert Bruce of the Auchenbowie
Estate, south of Stirling, built his town house. He was Provost
of the burgh in 1555-56. The house traditionally attributed
to Bruce, has been much altered since that time. The crowstepped
gables, a feature of Dutch buildings copied by Scottish merchants,
remind us of the trade links with the low countries.
the houses of the wealthy remain from early times. Buildings
occupied by the poorer working people have long since been
the street plan has changed little over the centuries. The
upper part of St. John Street was originally the Flesh Market,
and for 300 years livestock were slaughtered and sold here.