Home

Accommodation

Attractions

The Town Centre

Shopping

Eating Out
Pubs & Clubs
Arts & Culture
Sport
Business
The Old Town
History
Local Schools
Local Services

National News

How To Find Stirling

Bridge of Allan

The Trossachs

Cambuskenneth

Property
Links

Site Credits & Owner

Video Directory
Other Places
NeighbourhoodFixit.com
StirlingLiftShare
Call a TAXI
Stirling.co.uk email
Stirling Eye Magazine
Home
 

Mars Wark - an historic building in stirling

Old Town

 

Like Argyll's Lodging, this building was started in the 1570's . The Earl of Mar was one of the richest and most powerful men in Scotland. He was elected Guardian of the infant King James VI of Scotland, Regent of Scotland and Governor of Stirling Castle.
The richly carved frontage displays the Royal Arms above the archway and the arms of the Regent Mar and his Countess on the towers.

The Earl of Mar lived in the building until the end of the 17th Century. Later it was repaired to house soldiers and in the 1730's the town council made plans to convert it into a workhouse, hence the name Mar's Wark.