Home

Accommodation

Attractions

The Town Centre

Shopping

Eating Out
Pubs & Clubs
Arts & Culture
Sport
Business
The Old Town
History
Local Schools
Local Services

National News

How To Find Stirling

Bridge of Allan

The Trossachs

Cambuskenneth

Property
Links

Site Credits & Owner

Video Directory
Other Places
NeighbourhoodFixit.com
StirlingLiftShare
Call a TAXI
Stirling.co.uk email
Stirling Eye Magazine
Home
 

Argylls Lodging - historic building in stirling

Old Town

 

Many nobles who owned nearby estates built town houses near the castle to be close to the King's Court.

This house was bought and extended by the Earl of Stirling in about 1632. Before this he had traveled widely with the Earl of Argyll and had been made Governor of Nova Scotia where he encouraged settlement. His commitment to Canada is indicated on the carved stone panel over the main entrance. Here the Earl of Stirling's coat of arms is combined with the badge of Nova Scotia, and a Red Indian can be seen supporting the shield.
Twenty four years later the Earl of Arygll bought the house and extended it to the south and west, enclosing the courtyard. Here his boar's head crest appears over the windows.

Despite many alterations, the crow stepped gables, dormer windows, intricately carved stone windows and door frames, and round towers often housing turnpike stairs remain to remind us about the features of buildings of this period. It is one of the most important 17th Century town houses to survive in Scotland today.