The History of Stirling Scotland
Castle - Monument - Bannockburn - Old Town - Battles
For starters, have a look at the videos below.
A walk through the Old Town, Stirling
Stirling Castle TV advert.
Historian, Neil Oliver, explains why you should visit Scotland, and focuses on Stirling (2012).
Video produced for Visit Scotland.
Former Provost, Fergus Wood, talking about Stirling
Stirling heritage dates back 800 years to the 12th century, when the town first received the burgh title. It was granted a Royal Charter, becoming one of the most important towns of medieval Scotland.
Stirling's importance developed from the fact that it controlled the lowest crossing point of the River Forth. The land to the west of the river was bog and marshland making it impassable for armies to cross. The land was eventually drained in later centuries.
The town was occupated in 1745 by Bonnie Prince Charlie's army. John Knox regularly preached in the Church of the Holy Rude next to Stirling Castle.
The area of the burgh covers most of the region spreading outwards to include villages such as St. Ninians, Causewayhead, Bridge of Allan and Torbrex, which were once very separate communities, making them part of the bigger picture of Stirling as the ancient Royal Capital. For more on Stirling's Town history visit the Old Town section. Or check out some of the links on the right.
Many of Stirling's independent retailers are located in the Stirling Arcade, accessible by shoppers via King Street.
Statue of Rob Roy McGregor in Stirling city centre.
Links to other historical landmarks on Stirling.co.uk include (old version of the site for now)
The Old Grammar School
Holy Rude Church
John Cowane's Hospital
John Cowane's House
Robert Spittal's House
The Town Wall
The Smith Art Gallery